Saturday, April 13, 2013

Poetry exercise for Conejo Valley Writers' Group

Assignment:  Write a 10-line poem in 10 minutes, using a common phrase but adding a twist.  Use 5 of the following words:
  • cliff
  • needle
  • voice
  • whir
  • blackberry
  • cloud
  • mother
  • lick
Katherine Hamilton of the group's Poetry Read and Critique sub-group created the challenge.  Here is what I wrote (with a tiny edit):

-------------------------------------------------------------------
I looked to my mother,
A cloud over her face like no other;
Steel in her voice as she said,
But for luck I'd be dead.
I insisted it wasn't that bad.
I couldn't see why she was so sad.
"But Mom, everyone else does it too!"
Her needle-sharp gaze stabbed me through.
"If everyone jumped off a cliff, would you?"
I did, and survived it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment